About this policy
- you agree that if you disclose your personal information to us,
- we may create a database record of information about you and use the information for the purposes as set out below, including notifying you of relevant product information or offers to you
- we may contact you for the purpose of handling an enquiry or complaint you have raised.
Collection of personal information
The types of personal information Australia United collects will vary depending on the nature of your dealings with Australia United. At all times we try to only the collect the personal information that we need for your particular business activity and/or function we are carrying out. The main way Australia United collects personal information about you is when you give it to us. This is generally:
- over the telephone (for example, when you contact our staff at the office)
- via our company owned websites – the Australia United website
- when you write to us and/or fill out our credit application
- when you register for or attend an event organised by us (for example, Reed Gift Fairs)
- when you participate in a marketing campaign or promotion administered by us or our representatives.
Generally, the types of personal information we collect and hold may include your name, email address, postal address, drivers licence, telephone number, details relating to your use of any Australia United product and/or service, details of your enquiry notified to Australia United and any other preferences you tell us about.
You may transact with Australia United anonymously or using a pseudonym where this is reasonable and practicable. However, for most of our activities and functions, we usually need a form of contact information to enable us to properly handle the issue or query (for example, to send our information on product specials and/or new products that are available).
Use and disclosure of personal information
Australia United will only use or disclose personal information for the purpose for which we collected it (primary purpose), a purpose related to the primary purpose, where required or permitted by law or where you have consented to such use or disclosure. The main purposes for which we may use or disclose personal information include:
- investigating or addressing a request, enquiry or complaint you have made;
- providing you with news or information about our products;
- conducting internal research aimed at improving our products or campaigns;
- occasionally sending marketing or promotional material about our products or offers that we consider you may be interested in;
- maintaining and keeping our records up to date and accurate;
- verifying your identity; and
- to maintain, secure, operate and/or improve our websites and services and your experience when using them.
We may state a more specific purpose when we collect your personal information.
- to law enforcement bodies, in order to comply with the law or to protect the rights, property or safety of the public or Australia United; or
- to external service providers such as prize fulfilment agencies, mailing houses, our consumer contact centre and IT service providers that host our website servers and databases, so they can provide the services we have contracted to them (for instance, to distribute prizes according to our competition terms and conditions).
Quality, storage and security of personal information
Australia United considers the security of your personal information is of utmost importance. To this end, Australia United takes all physical and electronic steps to keep the personal information we hold secure from unauthorised access, misuse, modification, loss and interference, both internally and externally. For example, Australia United only permits your details to be accessed by authorised personnel, and maintains up to date electronic protections and tools to safeguard our systems. Additionally, we take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information in a secure manner when we no longer need it, in accordance with set Australia United policies and procedures. We also ensure that we only disclose your information to third parties where it is necessary or compulsory to do so, and we impose strict security requirements on all such third parties regarding how they hold and deal with personal information. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed to be fully secure and you need to be aware of this when communicating with or providing personal information to Australia United over the internet.
To ensure that the personal information we collect is accurate, we record information in a consistent format and according to standard protocols, promptly update our records when we receive new or updated information, only grant edit rights to personnel on a need to know basis and regularly audit our databases.
Changes and access to personal information
If you want to:
- know what personal information Australia United holds about you or gain access to this personal information;
- update or correct any personal information Australia United holds about you; and/or
You may do so by contacting us in writing or by telephone as set out below (see “Contact us” section, below).
When you contact us with such a request, we will take steps to update your personal information, provide you with access to your personal information and/or address your query within a reasonable period after we receive your request. To protect the security of your personal information, you may be required to provide identification before you are given access to your personal information.
In any marketing communication sent by us directly to you (for instance by email), you will be given the option to ‘opt out’ from receiving communications from Australia United, such as by clicking on an ‘unsubscribe’ link in the body of an email or at the end of an email.
Questions or complaints?